[SQM] A new BMP interview (#4, Davide Dominoni, bird ecology) and call for expressions of interest for new testimonials

Andrea Giacomelli pibinko at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 06:44:28 UTC 2017

[apologies for cross-posting]

Hi,

a) *the new interview*
After several months, we managed to publish a new interview in a series we
started back in 2014:

http://attivarti.org/v2/bmp-interviews-4-davide-dominoni/

b) *the call for expressions of interest:*
Our idea, back in 2013, was to interview people who are out of the "top
ten" range of researchers and/or activists, who already have their share of
keynote presentations, press releases, etc.

The initial plan was to have one interview every one-two months, during the
course of the "Loss of the Night Network" project.

As it turns out, a lot of experts are very busy, or shy, or sometimes
overly cautious of disclosing information out of spaces of known impact
factor... so we had less interviews than expected.

This was not a big deal, since there was no set number of interviews to be
made, but we think the idea still works, and we believe there are several
folks out there doing interesting work which might be better appreciated.

The "interviews" are in fact typically made via e-mail, following some more
direct contact (real meeting if logistics allow,  or worst case a skype
call), answering some questions and providing some photos...see
http://attivarti.org/v2/tag/bmp-interviews/ for previous examples.

concerning the "impact factor" of the interview, with pibinko.org and the
Buiometria Partecipativa project we have

- tending to ten thousand e-mails (not copy-pasted...actual people we
interacted with during over ten years of activity). most of these are in
Italy, but we have a fair portion of followers abroad (see
http://www.pibinko.org/places)

- over 90 media contacts in Italy (the BuioMetria project was covered by
national TV, several times by national radio stations, and last but not
least had a special inset in the Italian version of the Mickey Mouse
magazine...see http://www.pibinko.org/nei-media/

- recently, we were qualified as one of the "Light Pollution Initiatives"
by the EU-funded project Stars4All (www.stars4all.eu), so this will provide
additional exposure

- we are also in the process of planning our calendar of outreach events
through June 2018.
This date will be the tenth anniversary of the BuioMetria Partecipativa
project, so we are having some more attention than usual for our
initiatives, and it may happen that we will have the opportunity of
inviting experts to Italy (we are based in Southern Tuscany) for some
activities.
If we know a bit more about you through our interviews we can have a more
educated idea of which experts may be better related to what we see as
national and European priorities on this topic.

So...if you like the idea of being the next expert to be interviewed in our
series, plese write me (info at pibinko.org), and we can elaborate a schedule
to make this happen.

Many thanks for your attention, and best regards!

Andrea Giacomelli
http://www.pibinko.org
info at pibinko.org
+39 331 7539228