[SQM] Initial Irish light pollution measurements and a new Sky Quality Meter-based data logger

Anthony Tekatch anthony at unihedron.com
Wed Apr 22 00:06:52 UTC 2015

Hello All,

Congratulations to B Espey, PhDa,b and J McCauley, MSca for the
publication of their paper:
  Initial Irish light pollution measurements and a new Sky Quality
  Meter-based data logger

  published in Lighting Research and Technology, on February 2014 vol. 46
  no. 1 67-77

From the Abstract:
  In the Celtic Tiger years, Ireland underwent an explosive growth in
  housing and an increase in light pollution, nationally. We outline work
  undertaken towards the first ever ground-based survey of light
  pollution in the island of Ireland and illustrate this with some
  representative data taken between 2009 and the present. The aim of our
  work is to establish a database to serve as a reference to monitor
  future changes, to compare with in-orbit measurements, to study the
  potential impact on the environment and to permit the calculation of
  the effects of future changes in lighting usage and patterns. We also
  report the development of a microcontroller-based data-logging
  instrument based on a Unihedron Sky Quality Meter-LR detector, which
  can be used by amateurs or can serve as a stand-alone instrument for
  night-sky brightness surveys.

You can read the full paper here:
  http://lrt.sagepub.com/content/46/1/67.short

This paper explains a method of using the SQM-LR and a GPS to gather
night-sky brightness readings over a large area.

Best regards,
Anthony Tekatch
Unihedron
http://unihedron.com