[SQM] standard skyglow format and new LP literature

Christopher Kyba christopher.kyba at wew.fu-berlin.de
Wed Sep 19 08:51:25 UTC 2012

Dear LPResearch and SQM lists,

I am very happy to let you know that at the IAU meeting and the European
Symposium there were no objections to the proposed standard format for
measuring skyglow, so the format is now official!  You can always find the
most up-to-date version of the documentation here:
http://www.darksky.org/measurements

We are still working out exactly what the GLOBE at Night data needs to look
like, but for the lightmeter and the SQM it's time to start writing files
in the new format.

When I get a chance in the next month or so I will write a perl script to
allow you to input site data and then take data in the new format.  Kai
Pong Tong from Bremen has said he will do the same for Python, and Phyllis
Lang has said she will write a new version of SQM Reader and SQM Reader
Pro.  If you don't hear directly from them, I will let you know when these
become available.

Thanks to everyone who took part in developing the standard, and to all who
endorsed it!  We hope to announce it to the wider astronomical community in
a letter to an astronomy journal as soon as possible.

Here is a paper that I somehow didn't know about, and I want to pass it on
because the results are really important.  New lighting initiatives in
London have had no significant change on the rate of crime in the lit
areas:
Marchant PR (2011) Have new street lighting schemes reduced crime in
London?<http://www.radstats.org.uk/no104/Marchant2_104.pdf>.
Radical Statistics 104: 39-48

In recent weeks some other interesting papers have come out:

Byrkjedal I, Lislevand T, Vogler S (2012) Do passerine birds utilise
artificial light to prolong their diurnal activity during winter at
northern latitudes?<https://boap.uib.no/index.php/ornis/article/viewFile/266/310>.
Ornis Norvegica 35: 37-42

Falchi F, Cinzano P (2012) The propagation of light pollution in the
atmosphere. MNRAS in press
(arxiv<http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1209/1209.2031.pdf>
)

Hsu F, Elvidge CD, Matsuno Y (2013) Exploring and estimating in-use steel
stocks in civil engineering and buildings from night-time lights Exploring
and estimating in-use steel stocks in civil engineering and buildings from
night-time lights <http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01431161.2012.712232>.
International Journal of Remote Sensing 34: 490-504.

Finally, a paper to look forward to in the future, light at night may
influence recovery from cardiac arrest:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0889159112002929#

Best wishes,

Christopher Kyba