[SQM] StarPeace participants requested for Global Astronomy Month in central & East Canada, central & east USA, Chile...

audrey at starpals.org audrey at starpals.org
Sat Mar 31 14:34:53 UTC 2012

Hi,  invitation to 2 events during GAM (Global Astronomy Month)

We are looking for astronomers who would like to participate in a GAM2012 StarPeace session on April 22 about 8- 9:00PM CDT.  Those from any of the areas listed below (in brown font) can participate on our April 22 session. We are trying to get at least one astronomer from each region... and we have no one to represent some regions yet, including Canada(mid and eastern).    People living in other segments of the globe are invited to participate on other dates within April. Throughout the month of April (Global Astronomy Month), we'll pass the torch of StarPeace around the globe. For more info see below.
Central and East Canada, Central and East US, East Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Ecuador, Peru, Cuba, Chile, Colombia (west), Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Bahamas, Central and East Canada; Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Nunavut Territory.

http://www.astronomerswithoutborders.org/gam2012-programs/program-schedule/1064.html

cheers+stars
Audrey
OneStar at a Time/ Global StarPark Network
http://onestar-awb.org

P.S. Here is a special GAM2012 art project for kids and teens: We are looking for kids' artwork from all over the world showing why seeing starlight is important to them.  Include words Celebrate Starlight (in native language) in the picture somewhere and send it to me: audreyfischer at sbcglobal.net   It will be assembled in a photo mosaic montage and MoonBounced using the Dwingeloo Radio Telescope in the Netherlands at the end of April.  Deadline for entry: April 21. Many thanks to Daniela DePaulis and Dwingeloo Observatory for making this possible.
http://www.astronomerswithoutborders.org/gam2012-programs/program-schedule/1073.html

Call to Action: Make Peace with StarPeace

Throughout Global Astronomy Month 2012 in April, StarPeace, in cooperation with Astronomers Without Borders (AWB), invites everyone to create a chain of world peace while gazing at the wonders of the night sky as a series of events circumnavigates the world for 30 nights.

How does it work?

Beginning in Oceania, events move westward every three days through ten equal segments of 36 degrees of longitude each. Everyone is invited to take part as their country’s turn comes up by organizing star parties or simply going out and observing the sky. By encouraging people across borders to look at the sky at the same time, StarPeace and AWB hope to raise awareness of our being One People under One Sky.

How do we connect with others?

Organisers in the same longitude segment are encouraged to plan simultaneous events sharing the beauty and wonder of the night sky. Register your event on Global Astronomy Month (GAM) website then proceed to the “Search and List Events” page to find a StarPeace partner. If you can’t find a group to connect with, you can contact the 30NSP team at gam at starpeace.org. Partnerships can be made in advance and events organised to include simultaneous observations, an exchange of messages or even real-time communication.

When is your country’s turn?

30 Nights of StarPeace begins 1-3 April in East Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Pacific Islands, Russia (East), Aleutian Islands, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Fiji, Solomon Islands in the first longitude segment and ends 28-30 April with Alaska (US), Hawaii, Samoa, American Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands, Tahiti. For a list of all the countries and their segments visit: http://www.astronomerswithoutborders.org/gam2012-programs/program-schedule/1064.html

How do you share your StarPeace experience?

We encourage you to share your event images with us during your zone’s observing period through the GAM2012 Facebook page, Flickr group or through Twitter using the #StarPeace hashtag. Be sure to follow @gam_awb @starpeace to keep updated on events around the world.

30 Nights of StarPeace is organized by the StarPeace project and Astronomers Without Borders.  StarPeace is a global project that promotes peace and friendship between citizens of all nations by organizing joint public star parties, especially near the borders of neighboring countries, showing the immensity of the Universe as a reminder of how small Planet Earth really is.  StarPeace was designated a Special Project of the International Year of Astronomy 2009 and continues as part of that highly successful year's heritage.

####

More information:

Web: http://www.gam-awb.org/
News Updates: http://www.astronomerswithoutborders.org/news/newsletters/subscribe.html
Email: info at gam-awb.org
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gam.awb
Twitter: http://twitter.com/GAM_AWB (#GAM2012)
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/globalastronomymonth
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/groups/gam/

Astronomers Without Borders:

Astronomers Without Borders is dedicated to fostering understanding and goodwill across national and cultural boundaries by creating relationships through the universal appeal of astronomy.  Astronomers Without Borders bring people together around the world. Global Astronomy Month (GAM) is one such project.

For further information please contact:

Mike Simmons
Chair, GAM2012
mike at gam-awb.org
+1 818 486 7633

Thilina Heenatigala
GAM2012 Coordinator
thilina at gam-awb.org
+94 716 245 545

You have received this mailing because you are a member of Astronomers Without Borders or have subscribed to its newsletter. If you would like to modify your subscription or unsubscribe please use the links below.
Unsubscribe

Modify your Subscription

Visit Astronomers Without Borders' website