[SQM] Little changing in SQM-network data collection

Christopher Kyba christopher.kyba at wew.fu-berlin.de
Thu Jul 12 13:48:31 UTC 2012

Hi Massimo,

The variability that you get from -ux rather than -rx is just "noise".
 Specifically, it looks like the SQM sometimes picks up an external EM
field and this causes the readings to jump around.  The point at which
the jumps start and the size of the jumps are not consistent from SQM
to SQM, and I think it is non-existent for the SQM-LU.

I very strongly recommend that you do not take measurements with -ux!
It will simply make your light pollution data worse by adding
non-Gaussian "jitter".  It must surely be much better to modify your
cloudy/clear detection algorithm to work with noise-removed data than
to add a bunch of noise into the data collection.

I have been hoping to hear back from you regarding the skyglow data
format that Dorien Lolkema and I proposed, which has now been modified
and altered based on feedback from the community.  You can find the
most recent version of the format here:

I hope you will get back to me about the format, because we would
really appreciate your input based on your experience running the
network.  I also hope that you'll adopt the format for GECO when it is
finalized this fall.  You can always write out two files in order to
not break your current scripts.

Best wishes,

Chris