[SQM] sqm Digest, Vol 26, Issue 1

Massimo Alessandria massimo at bresciaraduno.it
Thu Sep 15 12:16:04 UTC 2011

Hi Christopher, thank you for your compliments:
1- this work is for ALL. If you don't have a fixed IP, you can register
a Dynamic DNS. If you are behind a firewall that you can't open, you can
install the free software (GECO, for some weeks again only in italian),
and we give you a credential file that able your PC to upload measures
onto the servers.
2- we're working to able the GECO also to read SQM-LUs. Now we don't
import measures collected from other system, it's a big work, non
automatic, that need much time. Our work is fort simplifing collection
of measures, and to have only one type of measures, also to control the
quality of this inputting data. But if you have a large set of measures
from fixed station, we can try to do that.
3- the network was created to simplify IL data collection and studies,
and certainly we don't want (and can't!) to be the only ones to make
studies about it! ;) For the agreement we have with all members, when a
researcher institution ask us the data, we ask first agreement to the
members of the station you need (which will arrive without problems, i
suppose) and then we'll release the data in tabular form. We prefer not
to leave the database open and freely available, because we would like
to forge synergies with the institutions who want to collaborate.
4- What do you mean about "quality control"? We collect data directly
from the SQM, so the data was controlled before putting it into the DB
5- We've not observed this thing. When sky is clear, we have perfect
linear measures from alla stations.

I'm not sure if i will be in Osnabrück. I've write to Dr. Andreas Hänel
to present our work, and i'm waiting his reply ... i hope!

Thank you again, i hope to see you in Osnabrück!

Regards

Massimo Alessandria
Light Pollution monitoring Network
www.sqm-network.com