[SQM] SQM-network is growing up

Christopher Kyba christopher.kyba at wew.fu-berlin.de
Thu Sep 15 08:43:22 UTC 2011

Hello Massimo,

That's fantastic, thank you for taking the initiative to set this up!
I had a few questions,

1) Will this work for people that are behind an institutional firewall
(e.g. at a university?), or for people that don't have a fixed IP?

2) We run some SQMs in locations that don't have an Internet
connection, and also some SQM-LUs.  Is it possible for us to collect
data with our own programs and to upload the data (formatted
appropriately) to you?

3) Can you clarify whether/how the data will be available to outside
researchers?  If I was to use the data I would want to download a
table rather than click on a graph.

4) Are there any plans for running quality control checks on the data?

5) What is your sampling rate?  Some SQM-LEs have a noticeable 50/60Hz
oscillation that is easily and cleanly removed by averaging over many
samples.

Will you be at the Dark Sky Symposium at Osnabrück?  A measurement
workshop is planned for the first day, and it would be great to be
able to discuss these and more questions.  Here is the symposium
website:  http://www.lichtverschmutzung.de/symposium_2011/

Thanks again for setting up the system and translating everything into English!

Christopher Kyba
Institute for Space Sciences
Freie Universität Berlin
http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~kyba/