[SQM] ecological light pollution paper, and worldwide SQM database

Andrew Cool andrew at cool.id.au
Thu Mar 3 20:52:50 UTC 2011

Hello Christopher,

You say :-

"This indicates that the cloud amplification factor depends upon local
factors
 (maybe it's a nice function of population density?)..."

You may be interested in this site, where I model Light Pollution around
Adelaide,
South Australia using Walker's Law using population by postcode areas :-

http://groups.google.com/group/adelaide-darksky/web/sky-quality?pli=1

As you can see, it matches the output from CinZano's Light Pollution Atlas
quite well.

And closer to home for you, all of Germany :-

http://www.cool.id.au/astronomy/Light_Pollution/Germany_2010_Walkers_Law_Mod
el.jpg

I do not have the necessary population figures for the countries surrounding
Germany,
So this map does not take into account Light Pollution from population
centers in other countries
That lie close to the German border.

Neither do I have the skills in mathematics to relate the values returned
from Walker's Law back
To mag per square arcsec, or candelas per Rudolph's Nose or whatever the
appropriate metric might be.

However, it is clear that Berlin is not a good place in which to do
astronomy.
The Brocken looks better as does the Lueneberg heath area.

If there is any interest in generating similar maps for other countries, all
I need is a file
Of post code areas, the centroid point for each post code area, and the
population per postcode area.
The Germans were most efficient in being able to provide all this in one
flat ASCII file.

Regards,

Andrew Cool
www.skippysky.com.au