[SQM] ecological light pollution paper, and worldwide SQM database

Christopher Kyba christopher.kyba at wew.fu-berlin.de
Thu Mar 3 14:09:07 UTC 2011

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your email, and especially sharing the data!  If I put our
results in the same table, and re-arrange by clear sky brightness:

Location                Clear   Cloudy

Rural Berlin            21.0    19.9      <- Europe
Madison                 20.23   18.86
Grissom                 19.47   17.50
Horizon                 19.32   17.58
Discovery               19.23   17.39
Free University         19.0    16.5     <- Europe
Prairie Vista           18.71   16.41
Elsie Rogers            18.63   16.88
Walt Disney             18.12   16.30

You can see the results aren't monotonic.  See the attached plot that
shows the amplification factor for each site - the Berlin sites have
an "x" inside the "o".

This indicates that the cloud amplification factor depends upon local
factors (maybe it's a nice function of population density?), and it
shows why we need to repeat the cloud amplification study but using
diverse locations.

Chris