[SQM] Announcement: launch of CORDILIT - Italian coordination on light pollution data collection

CORDILIT info at cordilit.org
Thu Jul 28 16:25:44 UTC 2011

Dear all,

We are pleased to announce the launch of CORDILIT.

CORDILIT is a non-profit committee dedicated to the coordination of
various initiatives currently active in Italy in the acquisition of
light pollution data (primarily via SQM sensors).

The aim of the committee is to foster synergies in terms of:

- best practice sharing
- outreach
- facilitation in access to light pollution data sets.

CORDILIT was created through a consultation process involving various
organizations, with VenetoStellato and the BuioMetria Partecipativa
project leading the effort, and is operating under the auspices of
Cielobuio and the Unione Astrofili Italiani (UAI).

The web site is: www.cordilit.org -

A section in English is available, allowing basic data download and
visualization. However this is fairly basic at present, so do not
hesitate to contact us for any inquiry.

Among other features, we would like to flag three points of interest
for SQM stations operating within the CORDILIT framework.

1. all data created are made available in raw format;
2. all data created are released under an Open Database Licence;
3. where a weather data are available, these are merged with the SQM
data sets to provide a richer time series.

Furthermore, the coordination does not pose its focus on specific
software solutions, and leaves the flexibility of different approaches
to set up SQM monitoring networks, while providing guidelines for data
interoperability and quality assurance procedures.

We started proposing the concept of a coordination across different
organizations in Italy during this Winter, and we are glad that in
less than six months we have been able to make this happen.

Various components of the CORDILIT framework have a different level of
maturity - for some of these we have been sharing documentation, best
practices, or software which the CORDILIT members have been working on
for years; in other cases, you will find beta versions or drafts.

Over the past four months,  CORDILIT has been operating with a set of
pilot stations, so data sets are already available.

We now look forward to extend the number of Italian organizations
which will be interacting within CORDILIT, and to make contact with
other organizations out of Italy who are active in similar efforts (we
are, in fact, talking to some of these already, but we like to
re-propose this invitation to others).

We thank your for your attention, and we look forward to hear from you
at the address info at cordilit.org

The CORDILIT steering committee
http://www.cordilit.org