[SQM] snow and the ground albedo

Glenn and Gail Muller gmullers at primus.ca
Sun Jan 10 14:13:41 UTC 2010

January 11, 2010

Hey Everybody (Jan & Fabio, in particular),

Last night I managed to get the sought after SQM readings with snow cover.  My backyard observatory is in town, though away from the brightly lit center. On a clear night, like last night with good (but not great) transparency, I usually get readings around 19.7 - 19.8. Last night, with snow cover everywhere except the main streets, my best reading was 19.13 - a difference for my location of about 0.6 .  It was really cold, too, about -12C but the seeing was very steady - With my 12" reflector I easily picked out the E & F stars in Orion's Trapezium http://www.astropix.com/HTML/B_WINTER/TRAPEZ.HTM, and Rigels' companion was a piece of cake.

Clear skies!

Glenn Muller

The GEM 'N I Dobservatory
http://home.primus.ca/~gmuller/