[SQM] maps for Globe at Night

Jan Hollan jhollan at amper.ped.muni.cz
Sun Feb 28 22:58:05 UTC 2010

Dear Connie,

your Feb 20 letter to the SQM list was nice, not repeating the
embarrassing advice to investigate the artificial contribution to the sky
luminance during nautical twilight (one hour after sunset...), advising us
to observe 8 p.m. or later. But the globeatnight site is no better than
2009 unfortunately. Even the maps are the same, VERY bad ones over 5 mag.

I'm sorry I did not offer my help for this year campaign explicitly, being
too busy and assuming somehow that my letters from March 2009 will do.

Would it be still possible to offer good maps instead, including
Sirius, computed for some defined zenith extinction etc.?
I'd make them tomorrow, for a set of latitudes and times.
Perhaps for ZE = 30 cmag (rather than for 20 cmag), as
http://amper.ped.muni.cz/jenik/astro/maps/GaN-Orion/45-75z30.pdf
just with Sirius included in each map.

cheers, jenik