[SQM] Lunar eclipse and Globe at Night

Chuck Bueter bueter at rad-inc.com
Mon Feb 18 15:18:06 UTC 2008

Hi, all,

In a casual citizen-science experiment, we are going to measure the
amount by which sky glow diminishes during a total lunar eclipse on
February 20, 2008.  I invite you to join us in this endeavor.  A list
of key eclipse times for North American time zones are on a chart at
http://www.nightwise.org/eclipse-sqm.htm.  If you have favorable
weather conditions (or not) and want to contribute data to the online
database at
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p4s-VBT9q2zXDKrOWuTh8Jg&hl=en,
then send me your email address and I will send you an invitation to
be a collaborator who can make entries and changes to the Google
document.

I believe that if we want people to embrace dark-sky practices, then
they have to be motivated by their nighttime experience, not ours.
We're hoping to give people a favorable experience during the lunar
eclipse, with details at http://www.nightwise.org/eclipse.htm.
Hopefully, all of our visitors will use an SQM at least once during
the evening and enter their reading into our poster-sized chart.

If you've got an SQM, this is also time to step up for the Globe at
Night program from February 25 to March 8, 2008.  This year they are
actively soliciting observations from people who can correlate their
visual star count with an SQM reading.  That means you.  See http://
www.globe.gov/GaN/ to get onboard.  From personal experience, I
recommend you at least try submitting a Globe at Night observation
this year, even if not as part of a concerted public event, just so
you get a feel for what it entails.  Next year, during the 2009
International Year of Astronomy, the Globe at Night initiative is one
of the IYA2009 Cornerstone Projects, and hopefully all SQM owners
will reach out to their communities to participate in this global
assessment of our night skies.

I welcome your participation and comments,

Chuck Bueter
www.nightwise.org