[SQM] Sky Surveys with the SQM

Fieldsde at aol.com Fieldsde at aol.com
Mon Feb 18 15:04:22 UTC 2008

Anthony,
Thanks for setting up the discussion group. You folks have fine  products and
I've enjoyed my initial investigations. A few weeks ago I  received an SQL-L
through the Globe at Night initiative at _http://www.globe.gov/GaN/_
(http://www.globe.gov/GaN/)   in  connection with my work with the Night Sky Network at
_http://nightsky.jpl.nasa.gov/_ (http://nightsky.jpl.nasa.gov/)  .  That's
part of our ORION-NSN group on their home page.

I also just ordered and received an SQL. I've been experimenting with both
instruments and think that each has its place, depending on whether one needs
zenith-pointing averaging usefulness of the SQL or the ability to use the
narrow  field of the SQL-M.

My question:  I want to monitor the development of light trespass and  sky
glow by surveying the horizon. Has anyone tried to narrow the field of  either
instrument yet retain calibration. An add-on lens might work.

Any suggestions?

Dark and Starry Skies,
David Fields

_www.roanestate.edu/obs_ (http://www.roanestate.edu/obs)